Kennebec Challenge Mountain Runs
Time: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Location: La Plata Canyon
The Kennebec Challenge Mountain Runs features both a 15 mile mountain run and an 8.5 mile fun run in the beautiful La Plata Mountains of southwest Colorado.
- Register online at Active.com.
- Register in-person at Brown’s Sport Shoe (842 Main Ave) or Backcountry Experience (1205 Camino del Rio)
- Entry Fees:
- 15 Mile: $35 until June 30, $40 until July 31
- 8.5 Mile: $30 until June 30, $40 until July 31
- Students: $20 through July 31
- DRC Members: Receive a $5 discount through July 31
- Day of Race: $45 for all races, all individuals
- All participants must possess a Colorado Search & Rescue Card (available on race day for $3).
- There will be 3 aid stations with water, but it is suggested participants carry their own water.
- We will have EMT support. However, due to rugged terrain, response time will vary and participant is responsible for any evacuation.
Directions & Parking
- Drive 11 miles west of Durango on Hwy 160
- Turn north on La Plata Canyon Road (County Road 124)
- Proceed 8 miles to the start at La Plata City Campground. Be aware that about 3 miles of the road is somewhat rugged.
- Parking is limited; carpooling is encouraged!
Post-Race & Awards
- 15 Mile: Awards for overall male/female and age groups:
- 0-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- 8.5 Mile: No awards for the 8.5 Mile fun run
- Food and beverages are provided both pre- and post-race
- T-shirts are guaranteed for those who register by June 30
- Enjoy random prize drawings and a cold stream soak post-race!
Authorized under Special Use Permit # COL728 by the Columbine Ranger District, San Juan National Forest.