Kennebec Mountain Run
Time: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Location: La Plata Canyon
The Kennebec Mountain Run is a tough, scenic 15ish-mile trail run through the La Plata Mountains, just west of Durango in southwest Colorado. KMR is a perfect tune-up for the Imogene Pass Run (or, as we like to say, Imogene is a perfect cool-down after Kennebec!), and a wonderful introduction to the La Platas!
Proceeds benefit La Plata County Search & Rescue.
- Register online at RunSignUp.
- Entry Fees:
- $40, Apr 12 – May 31
- $50, Jun 1 – Jul 27
- $60, Jul 28 at packet pickup if spots are still available – cash only
- $5 OFF for current DRC members (automatically applied by RunSignUp)
- There is NO race day entry! This event WILL reach the USFS participant cap.
- Refund Policy:
- No refunds, transfers to other runners, or transfers to other years. If you cannot run for any reason, please know your entry fee is going to a good cause. It’s a donation to the La Plata County Search & Rescue. They thank you for your support!
- All participants must possess a Colorado Search & Rescue Card which may be purchased online, or with cash during packet pickup on Friday at Durango Running Company or on race day for $3.
- The KMR will take place via authorization from a Special Use Permit by the Columbine Ranger District.
The Kennebec Mountain Run alternates directions each year:
- Clockwise during odd years (2015, 2017, etc.)
- Counterclockwise during even years (2016, 2018, etc.)
Course Map & Elevation Profile
Click here for clockwise course map and elevation profile (odd years).
Click here for counterclockwise course map and elevation profile (even years).
- There are 4 aid stations:
- Aid #1: The Fork, mile 4.2
- Aid #2: Kennebec Pass (cw) – water only, mile 6.2; Columbus Basin (ccw), mile 6.3
- Aid #3: Columbus Basin (cw), mile 8.4; Kennebec Pass (ccw) – water only, mile 8.5
- Aid #4: The Fork, mile 10.5
- Aid stations are stocked with water, Nuun, GU, fruit, salty/sugary snacks, and basic first-aid supplies.
- While medical first-responders are present, response time may be impacted by rugged mountain terrain. Participants are ultimately responsible for any evacuation.
- Fri, Jul 28: Durango Running Company, 473 E College Dr, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. If spots are still available, you can register at this time for a fee of $60, cash only.
- Sat, Jul 29: La Plata Campground (start/finish area) from 6:30 to 8:00 a.m. No race day registration.
Directions, Carpool & Parking
- Driving from Durango (about 30 minutes):
- Drive 11 miles west of Durango on US-160.
- Turn north onto La Plata Canyon Road (CR 124) at the Kennebec Cafe.
- Proceed 5 miles to Mayday (just beyond end of pavement).
- IMPORTANT: Only vehicles carrying 3 or more persons may proceed the remaining 3 miles to La Plata Campground. ALL others must park at Mayday and either ride the 10-minute shuttle, or jump in with another driver to create a carpool. (Your best bet is to carpool from Durango!) You can also take your bike and ride from Mayday to La Plata Campground (or be a real stud and bike all the way from town!).
- Vehicles parking at La Plata Campground must turn around at the start/finish area and park on the southbound shoulder.
- Do not obstruct traffic on CR 124 or access to La Plata Campground.
- Please respect our parking marshals and help us stay in good favor with the USFS. You can contact the RD with any questions.
- The race begins at 8:00 a.m.
- A quick briefing will take place 5 minutes prior to start.
- Early start begins at 7:00 a.m. If you expect to need 5 or more hours to finish, you may opt to start early. Please just show up early on race morning, then we’ll write down all the names of the early starters at the starting line.
- There will be a STRICT cut-off time of 10:30 a.m. at the 6.3 mile point, either Kennebec Pass (clockwise) or Cumberland Basin (counterclockwise). If you don’t think you can make the cut-off, please opt for the early start.
Awards & Post-Race
- 1st place overall male and female each win a highly-coveted fresh baked pie, amongst other goodies!
- 1st place female and male in each age group category will win a prize. Age groups are: 0-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.
- We will also raffle off random prizes from our sponsors.
- Local food and drinks, a short awards ceremony (around noon), and if the weather is nice, an opportunity to soak in the river!
- Shuttle will begin taking runners back to Mayday after the awards presentation.
- Events like the Kennebec Mountain Run are impossible without volunteers. Thank you for generously donating your time!
- If you, a friend or a family member are interested in volunteering before, during, or after the race, please contact the RD.
- Race Directors: Kristina Siladi and Sean Meissner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Unfortunately the results from 2006-2010 and pre-2005 are missing.