Kennebec Mountain Run
Time: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Location: La Plata Canyon
The Kennebec Mountain Run is a tough, scenic 15-mile trail run through the La Plata Mountains, just west of Durango in southwest Colorado. KMR is a perfect tune-up for the Imogene Pass Run, and a wonderful introduction to the La Platas!
Proceeds benefit La Plata County Search & Rescue.
- Register online at RunSignup.
- Entry Fees:
- $40 (Apr 12 – May 31)
- $50 (Jun 1 – Jul 28)
- $5 OFF for current DRC members (automatically applied by RunSignup)
- There is NO race day entry! This event WILL reach the USFS participant cap.
- All participants must possess a Colorado Search & Rescue Card which may be purchased online, or on race day (with cash) for $3.
- The KMR will take place upon authorization by the Columbine Ranger District for a Special Use Permit.
The Kennebec Mountain Run alternates directions each year:
- Clockwise during odd years (2015, 2017, etc.)
- Counterclockwise during even years (2016, 2018, etc.)
Course Map & Elevation Profile
Click here for clockwise course map and elevation profile (odd years).
Click here for counterclockwise course map and elevation profile (even years).
- There are 3 aid stations:
- Aid #1: The Fork (mile 4.3)
- Aid #2 (odd, clockwise): The Notch (mile 7.2)
- Aid #2 (even, counterclockwise): Columbus Basin (mile 6.3)
- Aid #3: The Fork (mile 10.3)
- Aid stations are stocked with water, Tailwind, fruit, salty/sugary snacks, and basic first-aid supplies.
- While medical first-responders are present, response time may be impacted by rugged mountain terrain. Participants are ultimately responsible for any evacuation.
- Fri, Jul 28: Durango Running Company from 4:00 to 6:00 pm.
- Sat, Jul 29: La Plata Campground (start/finish area) from 6:45 to 8:00 am.
- NOTICE! No refunds, transfers to other runners, or transfers to other years. If you cannot run for any reason, please know your entry is going to a good cause. It’s a donation to the La Plata County Search & Rescue. They thank you for your support!
Directions, Carpool & Parking
- Driving from Durango (about 30 minutes):
- Drive 11 miles west of Durango on US-160.
- Turn north onto La Plata Canyon Road (CR 124) at the Kennebec Cafe.
- Proceed 5 miles to Mayday (just beyond end of pavement).
- IMPORTANT: Only vehicles carrying 3 or more persons may proceed the remaining 3 miles to La Plata Campground. ALL others must park at Mayday and either ride the 10-minute shuttle, or jump in with another driver to create a carpool. (Your best bet is to carpool from Durango!)
- Vehicles parking at La Plata Campground must turn around and park on the southbound shoulder.
- Do not obstruct traffic on CR 124 or access to La Plata Campground.
- Please respect our parking marshals and help us stay in good favor with the USFS. You can contact the RD with any questions.
- The race begins at 8:00 am.
- A quick briefing will take place 5 minutes prior to start.
- Early start begins at 7:00 am. If you expect to need 5 or more hours to finish the 15-mile course, you may opt to start early. If you plan to start early, please email the RD.
- There will be a STRICT cut-off time of 10:30 am at the 6.3 mile point, either Kennebec Pass (clockwise) or Cumberland Basin (counterclockwise). If you don’t think you can make the cut-off, please opt for the early start.
Awards & Post-Race
- 1st place male and female each win a highly-coveted fresh baked pie!
- We will also raffle off random prizes from our sponsors.
- Local food and drinks, a short awards ceremony (around noon), and if the weather is nice, an opportunity to soak in the river!
- Shuttle will begin taking runners back to Mayday after the quick awards presentation.
- Events like the Kennebec Mountain Run are impossible without volunteers. Thank you for generously donating your time!
- If you, a friend or a family member are interested in volunteering before, during, or after the race, please contact the RD.
- Race Directors: Kristina Siladi and Sean Meissner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Unfortunately the results from 2006-2010 and pre-2004 are missing.