Narrow Gauge 10 Mile
Time: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Location: Santa Rita Park
First run in 1978, the Narrow Gauge 10 Mile Run is among Colorado’s oldest Memorial Day traditions. The event features both a ten-mile and four-mile road race showcasing the Fort Lewis College rim, the Animas River Trail and awesome views of Durango!
Finish line festivities include a food, drink, music, FREE 1-mile Kids Run, awards, raffle prizes and more down by the Animas River in Santa Rita Park. Bring the family, some lawn chairs and hang out awhile!
Proceeds benefit the Marc Witkes Memorial Scholarship, FLC Cross Country, La Plata County Search & Rescue and the Durango Running Club. Jump on-board and come run the Narrow Gauge!
- Register online at Active.com (through Friday, May 23) or in-person at Brown’s Sport Shoe.
- Entry Fees:
- 10 Mile: $35 until March 31, $40 until April 30, $45 after May 1
- 4 Mile: $25 until March 31, $30 until April 30, $35 after May 1
- Current DRC members receive a $5 discount
- T-shirt size preference is only guaranteed for runners who register by May 1, so don’t delay!
Click on the course map thumbnails below to enlarge.
- Aid stations are located every 2 miles along both courses. Refer to course maps for aid station locations.
- Aid stations and finish line will be stocked with water, Tailwind Nutrition sports drink and basic first-aid supplies.
Packet Pickup & Late Registration
- Sat, May 24th, 3:00pm-6:00pm at Brown’s Sport Shoe
- Sun, May 25th, 6:30am-7:30am at Santa Rita Park
- Race day registration must be paid for with cash or check (made to Durango Running Club)
- If possible, pick up packets at Brown’s on Saturday to help minimize race day congestion.
- Parking is available at Santa Rita Park, but space is limited.
- Carpool (or bike) if possible!
- Heed instructions from volunteer parking marshals.
- Vehicle access to and from Santa Rita Park will be temporarily closed at 7:45am for the start of the race. Please plan accordingly!
- 10 Mile: Begins at 8:00am
- 4 Mile: Begins at 8:15am
- A quick runner briefing will take place fifteen minutes before the start of each race.
- Please show up early! Being rushed is no fun for you or the volunteers.
- Colorado’s weather is unpredictable, especially in May. Please dress appropriately!
Awards & Raffle Prizes
- All participants receive a Narrow Gauge 10 Mile short-sleeve running shirt.
- All finishers receive a special award!
- Top 3 overall male and female (10 Mile only) receive a cash prize:
- $100 for 1st, $50 for 2nd, $25 for 3rd
- Age group winners will be recognized.
- Age groups: 0-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
- All runners, volunteers and spectators are encouraged to attend the post-race festivities in Santa Rita Park:
- Food, drink and refreshments
- Breakfast burritos from Raider Ridge Cafe
- Refreshments from Animas Surgical Hospital
- Music and entertainment
- FREE 1 Mile Kids Run with Cream Bean Berry ice cream for our kids finishers! (approximately 10:00am)
- Raffle prizes from our fantastic sponsors!
- Events like the Narrow Gauge 10 Mile are nothing without volunteers. THANK YOU for generously donating your time!
- Volunteers are needed for registration/check-in, timing, start/finish setup and teardown, aid stations, course marking, course marshaling and more.
- If you, a friend or family member are interested in volunteering, please contact the race director.
- Race Director: Brendan Trimboli (email@example.com, 206-856-1063)
- Beware of traffic! The course crosses several busy streets and intersections. Runners should be alert for two-way traffic throughout the course.
- Follow course markers! The course will be marked with orange traffic cones, directional signs and chalk. Runners must follow the course. Run on sidewalks or on coned road shoulder against traffic at all times. Only cross streets when directed by a course marshal.
- Obey course marshals! Volunteer marshals will be on the course at key intersections and turns. Runners must obey course marshal directions at all times.
- Don’t get disqualified! Runners who violate the rules above or otherwise endanger themselves and/or others risk disqualification subject to the discretion of the race organizer.